CONDITIONS FOR MOVEMENT PRIVATELY OWNED RAILROAD CARS ON AMTRAK
C. STANDARDS AND INSPECTIONS
1. Private Car Owners are responsible to ensure that their passenger equipment meets all applicable legal
requirements, including the passenger equipment safety standards specified in Part 238 of Title 49 of the
Code of Federal Regulations. Private cars must also meet Amtrak mechanical and engineering standards,
which include successful completion of calendar day as well as periodic inspections. Amtrak will be the sole
judge of acceptance; however, Amtrak will accept certifications from approved third parties. For details of
Amtrak standards and requirements, please contact the Amtrak System Operations Department. Private Car
wners must maintain a copy of the inspection record and produce such documentation if requested by
Amtrak or authorized regulatory personnel.
2. Private car inspections will be done at a facility and time mutually agreed upon between Amtrak and Owner.
All costs associated with inspections will be borne by the Owner. The Owner shall pay Amtrak any costs
incurred to perform emergency enroute repairs or provide other non-routine services requested by the
Owner or that Amtrak determines are necessary to permit continued movement of a car.
3. Amtrak, where feasible, will provide running repair services at its facilities and provide cost estimates to the
Owner prior to initiating repairs. Shop maintenance and/or overhaul may be also provided when and where
4. No movement request will be processed for private cars that have expired annual inspection dates 14 days
prior to movement or for cars that will go out of date prior to the end of the trip that the movement request
5. Fines and penalties assessed by any regulatory agency as a result of a failure to comply with applicable
regulatory requirements will be the sole responsibility of the Private Car Owner.
RAILWAY BUSINESS CAR SERVICES
All Inquires submitted To: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Copyright 1981-
ATD LINES All Rights Reserved
Not affilated nor owned by NRPC-Amtrak